I DWORP (Brussels, Belgium) I 30 July – 5 August 2018 I
From intermediate to advanced level
There is no better experience than actually jamming alongside your musical peers, who are also passionate about jazz and improvisation. You can share this passion with musicians from all ages and coming from all places.
Prepare yourself and move on to a higher level!
A week long playing jazz and related styles such as blues and Latin will really change your life.
08.30 – 09.00: Breakfast
09.00 – 10.30: Instrumental lessons (or vocal classes)
10.30 – 11.00: Break
11.00 – 12.30: Instrumental lessons (or vocal classes)
12.30 – 13.00: Lunch
13.00 – 14.00: Break
14.00 – 15.30: Instrumental lessons (or vocal classes)
15.30 – 16.00: Break
16.00 – 18.00: Combo
18.00 – 19.00: Dinner and break
19.00 – 22.00: Theory classes, workshops and jams
Instrumental lessons (or vocal classes):
During the instrumental lessons and vocal classes you will learn more on improvisation, technique, soloing, accompanying (if applicable), theory, interpretation and repertoire. In total 4,5 hours a day!
- Do you want to reach perfectionism on your instrument?
- Do you waste practice time?
- Do you want to optimize your practicing on your instrument? Get some new tips & tricks and exercises?
- Do you want to have class with the professionals from the upper league?
- Does transcription of solos really helps?
- Does amazing instrumental technique seem not attainable?
Experienced teachers, mostly two for each instrument group, will coach you individually during group sessions.
! All clinicians have to bring their own instruments!
Piano players: keyboard/electronic piano with amplification
Vocalists: microphone with small p.a. or amplification
Horn players: just your instrument
Guitarists: guitar with amplification
Bass players: bass guitar or acoustic bass with amplification
Drummers: drum set with carpet to protect the floor
Instrument teachers – all active as musicians – will take the lead during the combo sessions and you will learn more about form, style, arrangement, improvisation, and composition and much more.
- Want to play with others and learn to know other musicians?
- From starter over intermediate to advanced level?
- Does your improvisation still need some improvement?
- Want to learn new standards and jazz compositions?
- Want to learn new styles?
- Are you more a ‘classical’ musician and want to learn how to play jazz?
Every clinician will take part in these combo sessions. Combos consist of a rhythm section (piano, guitar, bass and drums) with a horn player and singer. You will learn to apply techniques, learned during the instrumental classes, in a practical setting. There will be some 12 combos, which stand for the same amount of different levels. An instrument teacher teaches each combo.
The combo formations and instrumental classes will be based on the participants’ individual level. Every player will be tested during the first instrumental classes to find out about his/her individual level. So it is best to prepare one or more pieces in advance.
We improve musical talent! Learning and playing in a group inspires musical talent!
theory for beginners and theory for more advanced clinicians
- Being a beginner and in need for more theoretical knowledge?
- Is jazz theory still dark matter?
- What is a blues scale? A dorian scale?
- Want to know more about the history of jazz?
- Always wanted to reach for higher music education and need some extra help?
- Heard about Altered Dominants but don’t know what they are?
- Is theory always boring?
- Will the understanding of progressions improve your playing?
For all classes a syllabus with the topics (and much more) will be available.
After the theory classes you can still continue: 4 evenings with extra workshops
- Music notation software: MuseScore and Sibelius
- Play along programs: iRealPro and Band in a Box
- Sequencing: GarageBand and Reaper
- Combination of these software programmes
- Introduction into jazz history
Every evening most rooms will be open until Midnight. So you can use them for jamming, in different combinations, with or without guidance, with students or teaching staff.
Jam with former clinicians and participants.
- Want to jam into the early hours?
- Under guidance of the teachers?
- Together with some of the teachers?
- Do you want to play with participants from a different level or in another music style?
On Thursday or Friday evening there is the traditional staff concert and the clinic ends with the final concert of all combos on Saturday evening. Of course, family members and friends are welcome at this concert, starting 7:30PM at the Destelheide bar!
Any doubts concerning your level to participate? Send a mail to email@example.com
starting at the age of 16
Monday 30 July at 10.00 (coffee break at 10.30!)
Sunday 5 August after breakfast
- Teachers concert: Thursday or Friday at 9:00PM
- Participants final concert: Saturday August 4th at 7:30PM
Place to be:
1653 Dworp (Brussels, Belgium)
Maarten & Mies Weyler
!! Don’t forget to bring your instruments!!
Teachers at our jazz clinic since 1968 – 2016
PHILIPPE AERTS – JUUL ANTHONISSEN – JOHN BABOIAN – GREG BADOLATO – JUSTIN BINEK – LAURENT BLONDIAU – BERT BOEREN – WIM BONNENBERG – DEBORAH BROWN – JACKY BYARD- BRUNO CASTELUCCI – PHILIPPE CATHERINE – JEFF CLAYTON – JOHN CLAYTON – STEVE CLOVER – GLORIA COOPER – KRISTEN CORNWELL – ANDRZEJ CUDZICH – NATHAN DAVIS – MARCEL DE CAUWER – JAN DE HAAS – DAVID DE MAREZ OYENS – BART DEFOORT – RICCARDO DEL FRA – KERMIT DRISCOLL – KRIS DUERINCKX – JOZEF DUMOULIN – PETER ELDRIDGE – CHRISTOPH ERBSTOESSER – GARISSON FEWELL – DAVE FRANK – KRISTINA FUCHS – STEVE GARRISON – ARNOUD GERRITSE – MARC GODFROID – WANNES GONNISSEN – RACHEL GOULD – CHARLI GREEN THIERRY GUTMAN – JEFF HAMILTON – SLIDE HAMPTON – BILLY HART – MICHEL HATZIGEORGIOU – MICHEL HERR – PETER HERTMANS – STEVE HOUBEN – ERIC INEKE – VINNIE JOHNSON – CHRIS JORIS – BERT JORIS – TET KOFFEMAN – SYLVI LANE – SERGE LAZAREVITCH – MIKE LE DONNE – MARK LEVINE – JOHN LEWIS – STEFAN LIEVESTRO – DAVID LINX – WILBUR LITTLE – CHARLES LOOS – JOE LOVANO – DENIS LUXION – ROB MADNA – JIM MC NEELY – CHRISTIAN MENDOZA – SWA MERCELIS – JAN MUES – KEVIN MULLIGAN – CARLO MUERINGEN – NIPPIE NOYA – ALAIN NYAMÉ – WIM OVERGAUW – DRE PALLEMAERTS – ANCA PARGHEL – HORACE PARLAN – EWOUT PIERREUX – DAVE PIKE – KOBE PROESMANS – BRAD REES – MIKE ROSSI – FREDDY ROTTIER – JOHN RUOCCO – MANFRED SCHMITZ – JUDY SILVERMAN – HAL SINGER – BEN SLUIJS – JIM SNIDERO – DÉSIRÉ SOMÉ – BORIS TCHANGO – CLARCK TERRY – JOHN THOMAS – NICOLAS THYS – ALEX ULANOWSKY – FRANK VAGANE – PIERRE VAIANA – KRIS VAN DE CRAEN – HEIN VAN DE GEYN – MARIA VAN DE POEL – BENOIT VAN DER STRAETEN – TOON VAN DIONANT – PIERRE VAN DORMAEL – TOM VAN DYCK – ROGER VAN HAVERBEKE – KURT VAN HERK – JEROEN VAN HERZEELE – HANS VAN OOST – RON VAN ROSSUM – ERWIN VANN – LIEVEN VENKEN – TEUN VERBRUGGEN – MARIO VERMANDEL – ETIENNE VERSCHUEREN – MAARTEN WEYLER – DIEDERIK WISSELS – YUSSEF YANCEY – PETER YPMA – DEMBELE ZOUMANA – MIKE ZWERIN